Whitewater's Winter Carnival & Snow Ball Apres
Whitewater is excited to host the 6th Annual Whitewater Winter Carnival weekend! January 17th and 18th we will have tons of family activities throughout this exciting, and wintery weekend.
Saturday, January 17th
- ALL DAY - Fire Pit & Marshmallow roasting.
- 9am - 3pm Snow Sculpting Demonstration & Competition with up to $600 in Whitewater prizes!
- 12pm - 2pm - Scavenger Hunt for ages 4-14
- 12am - 3pm AFKO has Maple Taffy Tasting and marionettes with music.
- 5:30pm Fresh Tracks Cafe cooks up a delicious Wintery Après Feast! Click here for prices and to see the MENU!
- 3:30 - 7pm LIVE MUSIC - Sofiella Watt and the Huckleberry Bandits will be playing 3:30pm - 4:30pm & The Good Ol' Goats will be playing 5pm - 7pm! More details about these bands here.
- 7pm Torchlight Parade & Fireworks.
- 7:30pm FREE Shuttle back to Nelson
Evening Shuttle Schedule - FREE
7:30pm - Departs Whitewater Ski Resort for Nelson
Sunday, January 18th
- ALL DAY - Avalanche Awareness Day
- ALL DAY - Nelson Search & Rescue Information Booth
- 10am - Snow pit/profile Demonstration at the top of Silver King
- 11:30am We will be hosting the Gerick's Summit Cup!
- ALL DAY - Firepit & Marshmellow roasting.
- ALL DAY - Check out all of the stunning Snow Sculptures from Saturday
- 1pm Avalanche Rescue Demonstration, base of Silver King chairlift
- 2pm - Beacon Olympics sponsored by backcountryskiingcananda.com in Beacon Basin
- 4 to 8 years - ski on the Silver King side (only) and collect 3 different colored lays. Once you have collected all 3, return them to the Kootenay Kids Society info booth to claim your prize!
- 9 to 14 years - While skiing on the Summit side (only) you will be looking for as many peices of specially marked flagging tape as you can find. The top 3 particpants that bring in the largest number of flagging tape pieces win a prize! Prizes for this category will be announced at 2pm at the Kootenay Kids Society tent outside.
We will have one professional snow sculptor on site to show off their skills, and 4 other blocks of snow for a snow scultping competition! This is an entry level competition and open to anyone, no experience required. Bring your imagination, creativity and a few tools that will help you, and you and your team could earn up to $300 in Whitewater dollars! Call 250-354-4944 to register. Registration is FREE!
Apple Butter BBQ Pork Ribs
This energetic band bring their own brand of bluegrass alt-folk to the dance floor with infectious rhythms, beautiful acoustic instrumentation, heartfelt melodies,five piece vocal harmonies and clever lyrics that are unexpectedly mature, nuanced and just plain fun.
- 2nd Place in 2013 CBC's Searchlight Contest
- 2013 Artist of the Year - Kootenay Music Awards
- 2013 Best Roots and Blues Album - Kootenay Music Awards
~Shawn Parker, SNAP Magazine
~Tanya Laing-Ghar, E-Know East-Kootenay Online Weekly
~Eli Geddis, The Vurb, Nelson.
"If we were a wanky wine label, we would read something like this:
...a motley mix of winsome folk, bruised with blues and infused with banjo, with heady jazz notes, a hint of country, and spicy gypsy undertones.”
More about this great band HERE.
Here are a few pictures from Phil Best of the 5th Annual Whitewater Winter Carnival:
........................................................................."Whitewater doesn't need all the bells and whistles that other ski resorts have adopted because Whitewater has exactly what everyone is looking for; lots to explore and beautiful snow. The food in the cafe is unbeatable & offers fair prices, plus healthy & delicious options." Michelle Renee